The Lochsa Historical Ranger Station is located along U.S. Highway 12 at milepost 121, approximately 47 miles northeast of Kooskia, Idaho and approximately 40 miles southwest of Lochsa Lodge and Powell Campground.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Lochsa Historical Ranger Station, located on U.S. Highway 12 at milepost 121, is managed to preserve the historic character of a typical 1920s working ranger station.
Dating back to the 1920s and 1930s, the buildings at the Lochsa Historical Ranger Station were built primarily from native materials. Anything not locally available was packed to the site with mules. The 375-pound bathtub in the ranger’s house was skidded to the ranger station behind a mule team.
The 60,000 acre Pete King Fire roared up the Lochsa Canyon in August 1934, threatening the ranger station. As sparks and embers from the fire showered down, the cabins were doused with water. Tools, gear, and food were thrown in the river to save them from the flames. The station and 200 men were miraculously saved.
Today, visitors to the Lochsa Historical Ranger Station can stop at the visitor center, enjoy a self-guided walking tour, and enter each log cabin to view the historic memorabilia and artifacts used by early rangers and their families. Audio recordings are also available for visitor enjoyment.
The Lochsa Historical Ranger Station is staffed and cared for by Forest Service employees, volunteers, and the Friends of the Lochsa Historical Ranger Station. The station is open every day from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Website: Lochsa Historical Ranger Station
Brochure: Lochsa Historical Ranger Station